Thursday, July 29, 2010

What I wouldn't do for a Bag of Holding...

Listening to Talking Heads and studiously avoiding the disaster that is my room, I try to decide what to write about the subject of packing. I’m the first to leave, so I have the honor of broaching the subject, although it is likely Megan and Jen will have plenty to say about the subject on the eves of their departures.

You should know that I am an American, ergo I am a notorious over-packer who tries to compensate for insecurities with more stuff. Carting my junk from Colorado to California and back again, however, has taught me a few essentials and helped me hone down the mountain of stuff I apparently* own. So many travel blogs tell you what to bring. Bull. This is hardly useful; I will tell you what not to bring before I even go there. Learn from my “experience.”

DON’T BRING:
Lots of extra books. I’ll be in a Spanish speaking country, with limited access to English books, yes, but books are bulky and heavy. I am trying my best to keep the number below five.

The electric toothbrush: I just think it would be annoying to my host family, a high pitched WHEEEEER early in the morning, and then you have to bring or buy batteries. Not worth it.

Lots of dresses: Sure they look nice, kind of pack small, but they are the most limiting wardrobe piece. We’re talking months with the same dress. Skirt/shirt/belt combos are more bang for your cubic space.

WHAT TO BRING:

Your towel: Don’t Panic, you’ll be a frood who really knows where his towel is.**

Your Cowboy Hat: The Hat is turning out to be ridiculously difficult and fragile item to pack, but it’ll be worth it in the end…?

---Nicole

*I have my own theories about the mysterious multiplication of matter in my dorm, which may or may not go against currently accepted theories in physics.
**Not going to bother referencing this.

2 comments:

  1. This post really spoke to my bigotry. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To a fellow hitchhiker.
    DON'T GET ON A BUS IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. This only leads to situations of pain and fear.

    ReplyDelete