Sunday, August 1, 2010

Everything is an Opportunity

That is my new mantra for the job. Because it is day 8 of my internship and the most skilled labor that I've done so far was catching a box of paper clips before they splattered all over. (If you're wondering what kind of skills those are exactly, that's mad skillz.) But that doesn't mean I'm not learning anything though. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyday has yielded a useful piece of knowledge.

Take Thursday for instance. When I came in, the only honest-to-God job that I had was getting my W-4 and I9 employment forms turned in. I was pretty happy though, because it gave me at least 20 minutes to look purposeful before I went marauding around looking for odd jobs like a little street orphan. After successfully logging on to the system for the first time ever, I was ready to fax these babies in.

It turns out though, that I'm not entirely proficient with a fax machine. And while I was nonchalantly punching the copy/fax/printer/lifeblood of the office, I overheard a discouraging conversation. Remember how I successfully logged into the system? Turns out that created a whole bunch of security issues that kicked like half of the people off their computers. People who have real work. Realizing that I inadvertently created a mess only spurred me onward though, so I figured out that fax machine like a pro.


Check out these Microsoft paint skills!


After that, there was literally nothing to do, so I drove down to the Home Depot to sit in the parking lot for 90 sad minutes and take notes on my experience. But everything's an opportunity right? Ultimately, I now know how to take out half of my office and how to use a fax machine like a pro. Even if they are archaic and stupid.

--Megan

2 comments:

  1. That sounds a lot like my internship with CDOT this summer. I and the other intern made a song, "Friday at my internship" since Fridays have been disaster days for at least 3-4 weeks in a row. We took down ITS' network and internet the first week, second week was locking the keys inside the car when we were 30-40 minutes away from the office, and other smaller disasters on the other weeks.
    Odd jobs are also a big part of my internship too... 'Oh you want me to make a cardboard frame? Sure!' or 'Clean up a lab in the back that hasn't been cleaned in years, bring it on'.

    Sadly my skills with Paint are nothing compared to yours. Hope you will have better luck with yours then I have had so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OVpgGzy0wII/RqNud_PeJpI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/HzZfKlIfgic/Hold+On+Kitty.JPG

    ReplyDelete