Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Hot Streak

For whatever reason, I've been putting off writing this post that I've had in my head for a little while now. Mostly, I have been waiting for something terrible to happen to me, actually. Partly because I'm more used to writing self-deprecating posts but also because I'm a little superstitious about broadcasting good fortune. The truth is, I am on a hot streak. And having good luck makes me sure that bad luck is going to follow, especially if the world knows.

The past two weeks has been a string of utterly shocking pleasant surprises. So many things that I have wanted, and a few I didn't even know I wanted, have gently fallen into my lap after 2 years of struggling. And while this success is a product of all the sweat and tears I put into everything, it's still strange to me. Like a dog catching its tail after chasing it for years.

Seriously, look at my life in list format:

1. I got an internship at NPR.

2. I was chosen for this fantastic D.C. Reads Team leader position.
  • It pays me enough money to in turn, pay my rent.
  • I genuinely love this program and want it to succeed.
3. Paula Poundstone randomly started following my twitter.
  • I only have 4 followers total.
  • All of my tweets are completely inane.
  • How did anyone, let alone someone whose work I enjoy, find it?
4. Classy Yet Dangerous (my radio show) got a prime-time spot on Thursday nights.

5. I won 4 dollars in the lottery.
  • That is a 1 dollar return on my investment.



So naturally, I was pretty relieved when I got acute food poisoning from the airport this morning on a 90 minute flight from North Caroline to D.C. Let's just say that that Egg McMuffin got a lot more air than God intended and I still have the dry heaves 5 hours later. Now it feels like the hot streak is over and whatever positive things happen aren't assisted by luck. Guess I was ready for a fresh start anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment