Monday, September 6, 2010

Cookies of my life

I’ve only been in D.C. for a week and it feels like so much has happened already. Naturally, when I was looking for a common thread so I could encapsulate it all into one blog post, I settled on food as a theme. As a girl who may love food a tad bit too much, it was the only element present in all of this week’s adventures. Specifically, cookies keep popping up in the most glorious moments of the week. Thus, here are the cookies of my week.

Monday, I moved into my apartment. More accurately, my family moved me into an efficiency that I share. Although I questioned the merits of having both my mom and dad out in D.C., it was actually very nice. As a junior/senior, I’m pretty sure I was the only one dragging around a set of parents. But maybe I’ve grown up enough not to care my “image”. I can only hope that as a middle aged woman I will wander the streets in a muumuu. We spent the day running around getting furniture without running into a single cookie until we went to dinner. Then we went to McDonald’s to get a cookies-n-cream mcflurrie and a brawl almost broke out. (My dad actually blogged about it here.)

Tuesday, I realized I am a complete sap. As I sent my parents down the metro to go back home, I shed more than a few tears. To the caring readers of the world wide web, I can admit that I wept. For some reason, leaving home is always sad to me. Walking back, shoving cookies into my mouth and crying, I ran into one of my old roommates. I hope she believed that old “my-contacts-are-acting-up” lie. (Maybe I do still care a little about image.) Later, I topped myself by crying in class during “The Fog of War”. Why? Movies about the Cold War just make me cry ok?!?

Typical charming me

Wednesday, I completely restructured my life. Classes were changed, majors and minors declared, advisors were spoken too, and emails were sent. Basically, I'm officially an International Economics major with a minor in journalism now. The best part is that I’ll be getting credit for my internship. This means I only have to be in four classes, which makes things a whole lot smoother. I didn’t get a cookie for that, but I know I deserved one. I even remember thinking, “By God, get this woman a cookie.”

Thursday and Friday were also devoid of cookies, but to be fair, they were devoid of almost any other food too. Life is so busy now that I’m back. I actually have to carve out time to eat. But I started my D.C. Reads job and so far I love it. The other leaders are exceptionally nice students and somehow knew I was the co-president of the Scrabble club. It was probably the only time I’ll ever hear the phrase, “I’m sorry, but are you the Co-president of the Scrabble club? I heard about you!” Usually it’s more along the lines of: “I’m sorry, but are you going to move out of the way?” or something else not special.

And Saturday, after a very long shift at work, my new roommate let me have some of the pizza she made. (Pizza is round, like a cookie. Sometimes called pie.) It was the only thing I had to eat that day, so by default, I just thought of it as a cookie.

Many more shenanigans are brewing; I can feel it in my bones, so keep looking for updates. Right now, I’m trying to edit the audio for my radio show and our “Love Advice from Engineers” segment. If you want to hear that, you can stream at this link or just become a fan of the show. Phew. Sorry this was a little like a diary entry and less like a post. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. I cry when my parents drop me off, too! That's something they don't tell you about going out of state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly thought I was the only one!! That's kinda nice to know.

    ReplyDelete