Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hermione is my homegirl

Dear everyone,

Lately, I've been in a funk.

You know it's bad when the person you identify most with is a cranky toddler on tricycle.(Watch it. It contextualizes e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.) Also I am slowly killing my basil plant. And everyone knows, as my basil grows, so my life goes.

By most accounts, my life is going well. But like the cranky toddler, I want so much more. I want everything to be in place. I want to be riding forwards, writing big-time posts and talking shop at my internship. And I don't know why I insist on kicking myself when that doesn't quite happen. If you've read any of my earlier posts, you are well aware that I am prone to hiding in the bathroom when I get uncomfortable. The fact that I walk in and exchange pleasantries is the equivalent of a moon landing for me.

So everyday after work when get back to campus, I throw myself into the news. If you want to talk shop, you have to know the shop. Recently, I read a book by David Mindich, "Tuned Out", that tried to explain why our generation doesn't read the news. Let me condense those 200 pages for you: news is not our point of reference. Until I felt like a dumbass for knowing nothing about the D.C. mayoral election, I didn't learn anything about it. When everyone else feels the same, news is going to be the crack cocaine of America. There is just so much that I want to learn now. Honestly, I wish I could drop out of school, just for the semester, and really truly throw myself into my internship.

Out of this, the funk is born. Trite as it is, I just do not have enough time to do what I want. Me and Hermione Granger have so much in common right now. Girl, I feel you. No one knows what it's like to be using your time so efficiently that you're actually using a time-turner. I get that.


The only thing that I am certain of anymore is that I can do this. I can do this, and I can do a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment