Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fisherman's Gamble

I just spent 20 minutes straightening my hair for no good reason.

Objectively speaking, I have much better things to do. For instance, I have a test that may count for 60% of my grade on Thursday. Or I could be working on my applications for new internships. Or I could be cooking for my meals tomorrow. Or I could just actually work on school for a change!

But I straightened my hair instead, something I generally object to on principal.

Why?

Because on the Deadliest Catch, when crab boat captains venture into uncharted and dangerous water, they shave their beards. It's humility and hubris all in one; shedding a symbol of manhood in the vain expectation that it will change the course of nature itself. In the face of sobering odds, they choose to believe that Mother Earth cares whether they have stubble. Basically, they choose to believe they are the bomb.

Not possessing a fantastic beard (yet), I straightened my hair instead. Once again, I find myself sailing into new waters. I'm not afraid to admit that makes me scared as hell. So, let's see how this goes-- I'll get back to you after Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment